Tel: 0113 221 6019   |   Email:      
Instant Online Valuation

Property Search

From the 1st April 2020 it will be a legal requirement that almost all rented properties have a minimum EPC ( Energy Performance Certificate) rating of band E. So any property which sits in bands F & G will require updating in order to improve their rating.

There are several reasons why your property may not be covered by these regulations. You may need to take further specific advice to understand and be clear of your position.

For example if your property is let on either an Assured Tenancy or Regulated Tenancy, you may not need to comply with these regulations.

If your property doesn’t legally require an EPC, then you may not need to comply with these regulations.

If you are planning to let or have let a property which is covered by the MEES regulations then you will need to ensure that the efficiency rating is not F or G.

If your property is in the bands F & G, you will need to study your EPC to work how best to improve your rating. This may be fairly obvious in a lot of cases, however it maybe prudent to take professional advice prior to embarking upon any improvements.

If you are unable to make your property up to Band E by carrying out improvements of £3,500 you are still required to make these improvements up to this price level and then register an exemption. You will need to register the type of exemption you are making. It is also important to note that the exemption only last for 5 years.

You should also note that you can include the cost of any energy efficiency improvements you have made to your property since 2017 as part of the total £3,5oo figure.

There are some options for securing third party funding for your improvements from Green deal providers.

If you require any further information or help with this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Property Portals